Fred remains a common-sense voice when it comes to the heated health care debates. As a member of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, his focus is on ensuring everyone here in Michigan and across the country has access to affordable, quality health care and those with pre-existing conditions are protected.
Fred’s bipartisan work for better health care includes:
- Promoting Life-Saving Medical Cures: Fred is leading the charge to speed up the development and delivery of life-saving cures. His bold, bipartisan initiative, the 21st Century Cures Act, was signed into law by President Obama and is helping patients and families suffering from life-threatening diseases.
- Securing Protections for People with Pre-Existing Conditions: Fred led the effort to dedicate more resources to protections to individuals with pre-existing conditions. He pushed for more funding and fought for legislation securing coverage.
- Supporting Children’s Health Care: Fred worked to renew the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for the longest extension in the program’s history, along with successfully supporting community health centers for low-income families.
- Combating Drug Addiction: Fred is working with local organizations, families, and victims to combat the heroin and opioid addiction epidemic. He’s successfully expanding treatment, prevention and alternatives to addictive opioids, along with securing local grants to fight this battle.
- Protecting Medicare: Fred helped save Medicare by fixing the Medicare payment formula to protect seniors’ access to their doctors, preventing spikes in Medicare Part B premiums, supporting Medicare Advantage plans that provide better care at a lower cost, and cracking down on fraud, waste, and abuse to protect these dollars for seniors who deserve it.
- Modernizing Mental Illness Care: Fred helped modernize our mental illness health care to provide care for the vulnerable and hurting in our communities.
Health care for the modern era should be responsive, fast, and patient-focused, Fred will continue to champion bipartisan legislation that meets the unique needs of each individual.
As a result of his bipartisan leadership on 21st Century Cures, Fred was also awarded the Edwin C. Whitehead Award for Medical Research Advocacy. Click HERE to learn more about Fred’s lifesaving work.